Nonimmigrant Visa: Temporary Employment & Business

The U.S. Consulate General is not currently providing routine visa services.  Please monitor our website for updates on when routine visa services will be provided.



To be able to work in the United States, you must either be in possession of a specific work-related visa or a work authorization document.

Specific work-related visas are issued to persons who want to enter the United States for employment lasting a fixed period of time and are not considered permanent or indefinite. Work authorization documents are typically issued to foreign students and are related to their field of study.  Each of these requires approval from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  Work-related visas require the prospective employer to first file a petition (I-129) with USCIS; if the petition is approved you will receive the Notice of Approval (Form I-797).


The following is a list of circumstances that may be considered for expedited appointments:

  • an applicant for a student or exchange visitor (F/M/J visa type), whose I-20 or DS-2019 has a start date that is earlier than the first available visa appointment.
  • an unexpected need to travel to the United States for urgent business purposes that is occurring within ten days after the first available visa appointment.
  • an unexpected visit that is of significant cultural, political, journalistic, sporting or economic importance that is occurring within ten days after the first available visa appointment.

Expedited appointments may be granted in these special circumstances.  If you believe you fall into any of these categories, please book the next available appointment, then email us at outlining your emergency.  If your situation is deemed an emergency, we will reschedule that appointment to an earlier day and time.


Treaty Trader/Treaty Investor Visa (E1 or E2) – Please note: There is no treaty with trader/investor provisions in effect between Bermuda and the United States. While such a treaty exists between the United States and the United Kingdom, it only applies to UK nationals resident in the United Kingdom (the British Isles [except the Republic of Ireland], the Channel Islands and Gibraltar). Individuals having the nationality of members of the Commonwealth other than the United Kingdom do not qualify for treaty trader or treaty investor status under this treaty. For information on how to apply for E 1 or E2 visa in the United Kingdom, please click here.