Nonimmigrant Visa: Study & Exchange

The Student (F-1/M-1) Visa provides opportunities for qualified applicants to study at accredited postsecondary institutions in the United States.  With thousands of academic programs, world-class institutions, and unmatched flexibility, the United States offers a wealth of higher-education opportunities.  Visit the Department of State’s EducationUSA website to learn about educational opportunities for undergraduate and graduate study, opportunities for scholars, admissions, and more.

The Exchange Visitor (J-1) Visa program provides countless opportunities for international candidates looking to travel and gain experience in the United States. The multifaceted programs enable foreign nationals to come to the United States to teach, study, conduct research, demonstrate special skills or receive on the job training for periods ranging from a few weeks to several years. To learn more about exchange visitor visa programs, program sponsors, and more, please visit

Citizens of Visa Waiver Program (VWP) participating countries who intend to study cannot travel on the VWP or on visitor (B) visas, except to undertake recreational study as part of a tourist visit.  Students must travel to the United States with student (F-1 or M-1) visas.  For more information on the VWP, see Visa Waiver Program.

For short periods of recreational study, a Visitor (B) may be appropriate.  Enrollment in a short recreational course of study, which is not for credit toward a degree or academic certificate, is permitted on a visitor (B) visa. Learn more about Visitor Visas.

Study leading to a U.S. conferred degree or certificate is not permitted on a visitor (B) visa, even if it is for a short duration.  For example, distance learning which requires a period of time on the institution’s U.S. campus requires an F-1 visa.

For additional information visit the Department of State’s Study & Exchange ( website.


For all appointments, the U.S. Consulate General has not opened the online nonimmigrant visa appointment system but is evaluating appointment requests on a case-by-case basis via email, prioritizing urgent or emergency appointments for residents of our Consular district in Bermuda.  If you are a resident of our Consular district in Bermuda, and would like to submit an application for a U.S. visa, please first complete the nonimmigrant visa application form DS-160.  Then attach the DS-160 confirmation sheet you receive to an email, in that email provide a brief description of your purpose of travel to or through the United States, and send the email to us at  If we are able to accommodate your request you will receive visa appointment details via email.

Please note, we are not accepting out of district visa appointments at this time.

If you want to request an expedited appointment, in your email to us at outline your emergency or urgent situation and reason you require an expedited appointment.  If your situation is deemed an emergency, or urgent, we will schedule the appointment as soon as we are able.