Parental Consent for Under 16 yrs

The U.S. Consulate strongly urges both parents to appear at the time of the passport application. However:

  1. If only one parent is able to be present at the time of application, anotarized form DS-3053 must be submitted to the consulate by the absent parent. OR
  2. If only one parent is able to be present at the time of application he/she must, sign, and submit primary evidence (original or certified copy) of sole authority, such as one of the following:
    • Child’s certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate (with translation, if necessary) listing only applying parent; or
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only applying parent; or
    • Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by that order); or
    • Adoption decree (if the applying parent is the sole adopting parent); or
    • Court order specifically permitting the applying parent’s or guardian’s travel with the child; or
    • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent; or
    • Death certificate of non-applying parent.

NOTE: A third-party in loco parentis applying on behalf of a minor under age 14 must submit a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or guardians authorizing a third-party to apply for a passport. When the statement or affidavit is from only one parent/guardian, the third-party must present evidence or sole custody of the authorizing parent/guardian.