Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and first U.S. passport

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) certificate is official evidence of U.S. citizenship issued to a child under the age of 18 who was born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent(s).  The CRBA documents that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth.

If you or your child is 18 or over and has not been documented as a U.S. citizen, they should click here to find out how to apply for their first U.S. passport.

Dual and multiple citizenship is permitted under U.S. law. All U.S. citizens are required to enter and exit the United States using a valid U.S. passport. If you have questions about which passport to use to enter and exit another country, contact the immigration authorities of that country.

Click here to visit the Department of State’s website to find out if your child may qualify for U.S. citizenship.

A U.S. official can only determine citizenship as part of a formal application.  We are unable to pre-assess applications or advise on the likelihood of issuance before that process.  If you think you or your child may have a claim, we encourage you to apply.

Visit to find out about U.S. passport photograph requirements, including instructions, image size, tips for photographing children, and examples.

In many cases, the U.S. citizen parent(s) must present proof of their physical presence in the United States.  Physical presence is the actual time the U.S. citizen parent was physically within the borders of the United States before the child’s birth.  Please double-check the transmission requirements on the Department of State’s website to see what evidence you may need to provide and over what period of time.

Examples of physical presence may include:

  • Education records or transcripts.
  • Employment records.
  • Current and expired passports with evidence of travel to the United States.  If you traveled on your parent’s passport as a child, you may show entry and exit stamps in their passports.

Other proof may be accepted depending on the circumstances of your case.  Please bring as much documentation as you have.  You can discuss this with the consular officer during your appointment.

  • Completed, unsigned CRBA application Form DS-2029.
  • The child’s birth certificate.
  • Proof of the parent(s) U.S. citizenship. U.S. passport.  If the parent was naturalized as a U.S. citizen, please also bring the Certificate of Naturalization.
  • If one of the parents is not a U.S. citizen: their passport or other government issued photo ID.
  • If the child’s parents are married: the civil/legal marriage certificate.
  • If either parent has ever been married in the past: the divorce decree or death certificate for all previous marriages.
  • If the child has been issued with a passport of another nationality: their Bermuda and/or other nationality passport.
  • Documentation if a parent cannot attend the appointment (see information below).
  • Evidence of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the United States before the child’s birth, if requested.

For applicants under 16

Both parents must attend with the child and present evidence of parentage (such as child’s birth certificate or consular report of birth abroad, listing parents’ names) and government-issued photo identification.  If only one parent or legal guardian attends, please see information below.

If any custodial parent is not able to attend, they must submit a notarized Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent. The form can be downloaded here (PDF421 KB). At the time the DS-3053 form is presented, a copy of the same identity document presented to notarize the form must also be provided.

Please note: The notarized DS-3053 must be less than three months old.

If you have sole legal authority to act on behalf of the child, we require official documentation.  Examples include:

  • Original copy of the child’s birth certificate listing you as the only parent
  • Complete court order granting sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order
  • Complete court order specifically permitting you to apply solely for the child’s passport
  • Certified copy of an adoption decree listing you as the only parent
  • Certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person
  • Certified copy of the death certificate for non-applying parent

Applicants aged 16-17

Applicants should be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The accompanying adult must present government issued photo identification.

Additional documentation may be requested depending on the circumstances of the case. You will be advised during your appointment if additional evidence is required.

Certificates must either be the originals or certified copies provided by the certificate issuing authority.  Your original documents will be returned to you during the appointment.

If any documents are not in English, you must bring a translation supplied by an official translator as well as the original document in the original language.

To book an appointment please scan and email the documents in Step 5 (with the exception of the physical presence evidence and the additional copies) to  If all documentation requested is in order, you will receive your appointment details via return email.

In your email please DO NOT scan documents not requested and please DO NOT scan evidence of physical presence in the United States.  Evidence of residence and physical presence in the United States will be reviewed by the consular officer on the day of your appointment.



You will need to pay the necessary fees during the appointment.

If the child is under the age of 16: $100 for the CRBA application and $135 for the passport application.

If the child is 16 or 17: $100 for the CRBA application and $165 for the passport application.

  • Credit or debit cards: Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club, Discover or American Express.
    Card transactions are made in U.S. dollars and may be subject to additional fees applied by your card provider.
  • Cash: in U.S. dollars or Bermuda currency (or a combination of both) is acceptable.

We cannot accept contactless payment of any kind. Please note that there is no expedited service outside the United States.

These timeframes are guidelines only. Some cases may take longer.

CRBA and first U.S. passport: approximately two to four weeks.  Upon receipt of the CRBA and passport you will contacted and provided instructions for collection.

Social Security Card (SSC) (if you apply during your infant’s appointment): processing of the SSC will take considerably longer and the SSC will be mailed to your residence in Bermuda.  If you have further questions you may contact our Federal Benefits unit directly at

Emergency passport: can be issued on the same day if CRBA is approved.  Please notify the consular staff if you have urgent travel.