General Information
When a child is born to an American citizen parent or parents overseas (i.e. Bermuda or any other foreign country) certain documentation is required in order for the child to be registered as an American citizen. You may not be aware of the fact that even if your child holds a nationality of a country other than the U.S., if your child has a claim to U.S. citizenship, he or she must be in possession of a valid U.S. passport to enter the United States.  Also, you may register your child with the U.S. Consulate in Bermuda even if your child was born in another foreign country.  We strongly recommend that the birth of your child be reported to the consulate as soon as possible after the birth.  It can take up to one month to process the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and passport and three months to process the SSN card.