An official website of the United States government

September 29, 2023

Register or re-register to vote & request a ballot

Go to FVAP.gov to complete a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) which allows you register to vote and request your absentee ballot at the same time.

  • You will need access to a printer as you must print, sign and date the FPCA.
  • The quickest way to receive your ballot is to choose an electronic option. Depending on the state, this may be by email, fax or online download.
  • Include your email address so that election officials can contact you quickly if needed.
  • If your state delivers ballots electronically by fax only, make sure you include your fax number.

The FVAP website has information to help you determine your state of voting residence, including information for U.S. citizens that have never lived in the United States.

The FPCA will allow you to request absentee ballots for all federal elections in the calendar year, including any special elections. States no longer have to send ballots for an entire election cycle, so we strongly recommend that you get into the habit of completing a new FPCA every January.