An official website of the United States government

Proof of U.S. Citizenship

Proof of U.S. citizenship can be demonstrated by a:

  • Full validity U.S. passport;
  • Certified U.S. birth certificate;
  • Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240); or
  • Certificate of citizenship or naturalization from USCIS

NOTE: A certified birth certificate has a registrar’s raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar’s signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office. The birth certificate should list both parents’ names. The filing date must be within one year of your birth.

A delayed birth certificate filed more than a year after your birth may be acceptable if it:

  • Listed the documentation used to create it and
  • Was signed by the attending physician or midwife, or,
  • Lists an affidavit signed by the parents, or
  • Shows early public records.