Location: Hamilton, Bermuda
Event: COVID-19 Update
Status of Services: The Consular Section remains closed for routine U.S. citizen and visa services, including walk-in passport renewals. We will open for these services as soon as it is safe to do so, and we will send out additional messaging once we are able to resume our routine services. If you require an emergency service, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our duty officer at 335-3828.
For U.S. citizens who are in need of routine consular services, you may follow the steps below to prepare your documentation for when we reopen.
Adult passport renewals:
- If you are in possession of your passport, and it is still valid or it has expired in the past 15 years, complete the application form here. Please note that the address in block 8 must be a local Bermuda address (nothing will be mailed there, however). Complete the form online, and then print it. Do not print the form double sided. You must also provide one photo. Photo standards are listed here.
Passport renewals for children under age 16:
- Complete the form DS-11. Complete the form online and then print it. Do not sign the form, and do not print the form double sided. Please note that the address in block 8 must be a local Bermuda address (nothing will be mailed there, however). If your child was born at King Edward Hospital, the place of birth is listed as “Paget, Bermuda”
- Provide one passport photo for the child. Photo standards are listed here.
- Obtain the child’s birth certificate. Both parents who are listed on the birth certificate, along with the child, are required to come to the appointment at the consulate to renew the passport. Parents must bring identification such as a driver’s license.
For parents who wish to document the U.S. citizenship of children born in Bermuda:
- Complete the Consular Report of Birth Abroad application (Form DS-2029) here. Complete the form online and then print it, but do not sign it.
- Gather supporting documents and make one copy of each (black and white copies are fine, there is no need for notarized or certified copies)
- Both parents’ passports. If you are a dual national, we only need to see your U.S. passport.
- If the parents are married, the state or government issued marriage certificate.
- If either parent was married previously, please submit the divorce decree, annulment, or death certificate establishing the termination of the previous marriage.
- The child’s Bermuda birth certificate.
Flight Status: We are not aware of any repatriation flights being planned to the United States in the near future. For guidance on the reopening of L.F. Wade Airport, please continue to monitor local media and the Government of Bermuda’s COVID-19 website.
Tax Returns and Stimulus Checks: If your U.S. tax return or stimulus check was sent to you by mail to a Bermuda address, it may have been returned to sender as mail originating from the United States is not currently being delivered to Bermuda. Contact the IRS directly for more information.
Voter Registration: If you registered to vote, and requested that your ballot be sent via mail, be aware that mail originating from the United States is not currently being delivered to Bermuda, effective March 20. Any ballots for primary or local elections which might have been sent to you during this time would have been returned to sender. We recommend that you contact your local election official to confirm preferences on how you would like to receive your ballot. If you choose to receive your ballot via email, it will be sent to you 45 days before the election date.
If you receive a ballot, and the instructions indicate that it must be returned via mail, the Bermuda Post has resumed outgoing mail service to the United States via Fed Ex.
If you have not yet registered to vote, it’s not too late! We have made you a step by step video to show you how. Our goal is to register every eligible voter who wants to vote, so if you have any questions at all, please let us know. You can email us at email@example.com, or call us Monday – Friday between 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at 705-0424.