An official website of the United States government

Birth Abroad

General Information

When a child is born to an American citizen parent or parents overseas (i.e. Bermuda or any other foreign country) certain documentation is required in order for the child to be registered as an American citizen. You may not be aware of the fact that even if your child holds a nationality of a country other than the U.S., if your child has a claim to U.S. citizenship, he or she must be in possession of a valid U.S. passport to enter the United States.  Also, you may register your child with the U.S. Consulate in Bermuda even if your child was born in another foreign country.  We strongly recommend that the birth of your child be reported to the consulate as soon as possible after the birth.  It can take up to one month to process the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and passport and three months to process the SSN card.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), Form FS-240 is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and we recommend that the parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. For applicants older than age 18 who have never been issued a CRBA, please refer to Possible Derivative Claim to U.S. Citizenship. Anyone who has a claim to U.S. citizenship must be in possession of a valid U.S passport to enter and exit the United States, even if they have citizenship of another country, as well.

How to Apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

How to Apply:


Please click here for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad application (Form DS-2029 PDF-931 KB) and to view a completed example (PDF – 718KB)of the application form.

Supporting documents:

    1. The child’s birth certificate.
    2. Both parents’ passports.  If you are a dual national, we only need to see your U.S. passport.  The name on your document must match the name you wish to be reflected on the report of birth certificate.
    3. If the parents are married, the state or government issued marriage certificate.   The document issued by the church is not acceptable.  A state or government issued marriage certificate will state that the marriage was registered at the Department of Vital Records, the Registry General, etc.  This document is usually signed by the County Clerk, the Registrar General, the Clerk of Court, etc.  The marriage license issued by the state/government is not a marriage certificate and cannot be accepted as proof that a legal marriage occurred.
    4. If either parent was married previously please submit the divorce decree, annulment or death certificate establishing the termination of this marriage.

Please email the completed, unsigned DS2029 (Consular Report of Birth Abroad) application and photocopies of your supporting documents to hamiltonconsulate@state.gov. Please DO NOT include any information not requested above.

  • Once your documents have been reviewed, we will contact you with an appointment time for the formal interview. Appointments are held Mondays and Tuesdays at 8:30am and 9:00am .
  • You are required to bring your child to the appointment; both parents should appear for the appointment.  You are also required to submit the originals of all application forms and supporting documents at this time.
  • Please do not sign the report of birth abroad application;  this document must be signed in front of the consular officer at the time of your interview.
  • The cost is $100.00 for the registration of your child as a United States citizenship (this fee is nonrefundable).


If you have any questions or concerns e-mail hamiltonconsulate@state.gov or call (441) 705-0424 between 1:30pm and 3:30pm weekdays.

Transmitting Citizenship

Transmission of U.S. citizenship depends on:

  1. At least one parent having the nationality of the United States at the time of the child’s birth;
  2. The existence of a blood relationship between the child and U.S. citizen parent(s);
  3. Documentary evidence demonstrating the U.S. citizen parent(s)’ presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth, as specified in the information below.

Examples of Documentation

Some examples of documentary evidence which may be considered to demonstrate that physical presence requirements have been met may include (but are not limited to):

  • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
  • Academic transcripts
  • Employment records
  • Rental receipts
  • Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated).
  • U.S. passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted, but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence.

If you have other children who have been issued with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, this may be considered as supplemental evidence.

Consular Report of Birth or Death

The U.S Consulate in Bermuda is able to prepare two types of consular documents.

  1. Consular Report of Birth Abroad: A document issued by the U.S. Consulate reflecting the facts of a birth abroad of a child acquiring U.S. citizenship at birth through one or both parents. This record, also known as an FS-240, along with the Certification of Birth, DS-1350, are acceptable as proof of birth and U.S. citizenship for all legal purposes. Please go to Reports of Birth for more information.
  2. Report of the Death of an American Citizen: A document issued by the U.S.  Consulate reflecting the facts of a death abroad of an American citizen. The document is based upon the local death certificate. For more information regarding deaths of American citizens please go to Deaths of Americans Abroad or contact the consulate.

How to Apply for a Certified Copy of One of These Reports:
Since the consulate does not keep copies of reports of birth or death in office for very long, applicants must submit a signed, written request including all pertinent facts of the occasion along with requester’s return address and telephone number. Only the subject, parent, or legal guardian may request a birth record. If the request is for a Consular Report of Birth or FS-240, the original FS-240 or a notarized affidavit attesting to its disposition must be included with the request. If a birth record is to be amended or corrected, appropriate certified documents supporting the request must be included.

Where to write:

U.S. Department of State
Office of Law Enforcement Liaison
44132 Mercure Circle
P.O. Box 1227
Sterling, VA 20166

Fees: $50.00 for a replacement copy of the Consular Report of Birth (FS-240) and the Certification of Birth (DS-1350); $20.00 for first copy and $10.00 for each additional copy. There is a $30 fee for a certified copy of a Report of Death, and a $20 fee for each additional copy provided as part of the same request. Make check or bank draft drawn on a bank in the United States, or money order, payable to the “Department of State.”

Turnaround time: Unlike passport agencies, which have received all of the documentation needed from the applicant, most consular vital records must be retrieved from off-site repositories, including the National Archives. Since the time required to retrieve these records varies significantly based up the type of record and date of occurrence, it is impossible to give an exact estimate of the turnaround time. However, most cases can be completed within eight to twelve weeks.

Expedited Service: Overnight delivery can save processing time, but there is no way to reduce the retrieval time. Overnight return via Federal Express is available for an additional  $10.00, or the requester may provide a prepaid air bill for the courier of choice.

Additional Information: Please contact the consulate or call the Passport Correspondence Office in Washington DC at (202) 955-0307.