Applying for your first U.S. passport

Dual and multiple citizenship is permitted under U.S. law.  All U.S. citizens are required to enter and exit the United States using a valid U.S. passport.  If you have questions about which passport to use to enter and exit another country, contact the immigration authorities of that country.

How to apply for your first U.S. passport

If you were born in the United States or you have been officially documented as a U.S. citizen another way but you have never been issued a U.S. passport, follow these instructions to apply for your first U.S. passport.

You may apply for a U.S. passport by following the instructions on this webpage if you have any of the following documents:

  • U.S. birth certificate
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)
  • U.S. Certificate of Citizenship
  • U.S. Certificate of Naturalization

A U.S. official can only determine your eligibility for a passport as part of a formal application.  We are unable to pre-assess applications or advise on the likelihood of issuance before that process.

Click here to complete Form DS-11 online.  After you have answered the questions, Form DS-11 will generate as a PDF file. You must print the form because it will not be submitted to us electronically. Do not sign the form until you are asked to sign it during your appointment.  Please print the form single sided.

Visit for U.S. passport photograph requirements, including instructions, image size, and examples.

  • Your passport application (Form DS-11)
  • Your U.S. passport photograph
  • Evidence of your U.S. citizenship
  • Valid government issued photo ID such as a passport, driver’s license, or military identification.
  • Foreign passport(s) that you have held or been included in (valid and expired).
  • Evidence of name change (if applicable). If you have changed your name since your proof of U.S. citizenship was issued, provide the relevant documentation (such as marriage certificate, divorce certificate, or change of name deed).

For applicants under 16

Both parents must attend with the child and present evidence of parentage (such as child’s birth certificate or consular report of birth abroad, listing parents’ names) and government-issued photo identification.  If only one parent or legal guardian attends, please see information below.

If any custodial parent is not able to attend, they must submit a notarized Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent.  The form can be downloaded here (PDF421 KB). At the time the DS-3053 form is presented, a copy of the same identity document presented to notarize the form must also be provided.

Please note: The notarized DS-3053 must be less than three months old.

If you have sole legal authority to act on behalf of the child, we require official documentation.  Examples include:

  • Original copy of the child’s birth certificate listing you as the only parent
  • Complete court order granting sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order
  • Complete court order specifically permitting you to apply solely for the child’s passport
  • Certified copy of an adoption decree listing you as the only parent
  • Certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person
  • Certified copy of the death certificate for non-applying parent

Applicants aged 16-17

Applicants should be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.  The accompanying adult must present government issued photo identification.

Additional documentation may be requested depending on the circumstances of the case.  You will be advised during your appointment if additional evidence is required.

Certificates must either be the originals or certified copies provided by the certificate issuing authority.  Your original documents will be returned to you during the appointment.

If any documents are not in English, you must bring a translation supplied by an official translator as well as the original document in the original language.

Once you have read the above information and are confident you have all required documentation, please book your passport appointment on-line.

$135 for applicants under the age of 16
 for applicants aged 16 or over.

You will need to pay the necessary fee during the appointment.

  • Credit or debit cards: Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club, Discover or American Express.
    Card transactions are made in U.S. dollars and may be subject to additional fees applied by your card provider.
  • Cash: in U.S. dollars or Bermuda currency (or a combination of both) accepted.

For an approved passport application, the average timeframe is approximately three weeks until the Consulate receives your passport.  You will be emailed with pick-up instructions once your passport is received by the Consulate.

This estimate is for guidance only as some cases can take longer to process or additional information may be requested by the officer on the day of your appointment.